Our publicity efforts in December have included promoting the production, “The MeshugaNutcracker!,” a full-length musical comedy that portrays the history and heroes of Chanukah. The show has been entertaining audiences in California and other Western states since 2003, and in 2015 is expected to make its debut in New York City. This month it played at the Marines’ Memorial Theatre in San Francisco and The Heritage Theatre in Campbell.
How to Do Publicity for a Musical
To secure publicity for this well-received musical, we wrote and distributed two press releases –one for calendar listings in newspapers and online, and another written specifically for feature editors, writers, theater critics, and theater bloggers.
The press releases were sent to relevant media contacts in our database, which we regularly update. For this project, we made sure that the database contained all theater and feature writers and reporters at the following media outlets: newspapers, radio, TV, and online. We also made sure that all members of the Bay Area Theater Critics Circle were on the press release distribution list.
After press releases were sent we followed up by email and phone calls with media to discuss publicity angles for this musical with the goal of securing story placement. Angles included a fun alternative to traditional holiday musicals, profiles of actors in the production, and the history of this show and its upcoming New York City debut.
As a result of our efforts, the show was widely featured in Bay Area media with coverage appearing on television, newspapers, online, entertainment calendars, “Top 10” lists, “This Week” columns, reviewer notes, and theater blogs.
Publicity for a Musical: The MeshugaNutcracker!
Here is a summary of some of the publicity (earned media) that we obtained for The MeshugaNutcracker!
- JWeekly: ‘MeshugaNutcracker’ returns with fresh Hanukkah shtick
- KRON-TV: Interview with Shannon Guggenheim, MeshugaNutcracker! co-producer and actress.
- Alice Radio, 97.3: 15 Things You Can Do in the Bay Area-Week of December 7th-December 15th
- KTVU-TV: Holiday in Focus: Jewish Twist on the Nutcracker. This segment goes behind the scenes to look at how the production gives families something light and bright to celebrate during the holiday season.
- Sal Pizarro’s column in the San Jose Mercury News: Post-Hanukkah Hilarity. Pizarro writes that the Guggenheim’s, the show’s producers have told him that “you don’t have to be Jewish to enjoy the 120-minute production, but it might make it a little more funny if you are.”
- Los Altos Town Crier: Former Los Altos restaurant singer to perform in Hanukkah musical. This article is about Susan Gundunas, who grew up in Los Altos singing, dancing or serving as master of ceremonies at her father’s Greek restaurant, The Balkan Village. In “The MeshugaNutcracker!” Gundunas plays Esther, the mayor’s wife in the fictional town of Chelm.
- BroadwayWorld.com-BWW Interviews: Shannon Guggenheim on MeshugaNutcracker!. Reporter Harmony Wheeler interviewed co-producer and actress, Shannon Guggenheim about the musical, how it came to be, and the cast of characters in the show.
If you missed The MeshugaNutcracker! this year, stay tuned for information about any 2015 performances planned for the Bay Area.
And, as we enter the new year, we look forward to publicizing more entertainment, including publicity for theatrical productions, as well as securing publicity for a variety of businesses, organizations, and associations. We currently provide publicity and social media for businesses in the areas of travel and tourism, economic development, private school education, including Montessori programs, associations, and professional services.
Post by Miriam Schaffer, Account Manager with The Placemaking Group
More publicity information: